flowcharting is automatic for Python via preprocessor

Eric Pederson pleaseSeeFooter at bottomOfEmail.com
Sun Aug 1 05:18:04 EDT 2004

"Rick Hilburger" <rickh at ispwest.com> wrote:

> I have a program that
> automatically draws a flow chart next to Python code so that you can see and
> understand the flow among the lines of Python code.  I use a slightly
> different syntax for flow control than Python does, but the rest is regular
> Python.  I have numerous images to illustrate this.  I think it would be a
> new way to have code that is somewhat self-documenting.  It could also help
> Python be somewhat self-teaching, at least with respect to structured
> control constructs and how they work.

Neat idea!

Perhaps this would be useful as a teaching tool for first year programming courses, helping students to visualize what the various statements do.  Such things seem trivial once they are ingrained in one's thinking, but getting that initial comprehension may be more challenging than one remembers, and the flowchart just might help out.

It does seem to add some visual complexity, however, which might not be an advantage for more experienced programmers...

Eric Pederson
http://www.songzilla.blogspot.com
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs