IronPython-0.6 is now available!

Neuruss luismg at gmx.net
Wed Aug 11 05:29:12 CEST 2004

> In any case, it is standard to do time-consuming numerical computation in
> Python with the quasi-standard numerical extensions.  Unless and until the
> these are ported to .NET, such programs will not run.  Even when they do,
> there is no reason to think that they will be significantly faster.

Well, I don't want to play the advocate of .NET, but I think that we
have to take it with a very practical and pragmatic attitude.
Today, if you want to code something very computational intensive, you
have to resort to C for creating an extension.
Many programers can do it. I can't, because I don't know C and really,
I'm not interested in it.
However, in a .NET  environment, you can code your apps in IronPython
(or whatever its name in the future) and when you need extra
performance, you can code this parts in C#. Believe me, I'm just a
newbie, but I can say that translating from Python to C# (if you
already have the python prototype) is a matter of minutes. No
extensions, no hassle...everything compatible and smooth.
Sounds good, don't you think?