Why I love python.

Nick Patavalis npat at efault.net
Tue Aug 17 03:07:38 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-17, Paul Rubin <> wrote:

> Compilers for languages like Lisp and Smaltalk have dealt with this
> for decades.  They can either generate code that switches on the type
> tags, or have dispatch tables in the objects that point to code for
> operations like "+", or take advice or declarations from the
> programmer about the arg types, among other possibilities.  Any of
> these approaches generates code that runs much faster than
> interpreted code.

Yes, I know. Something like this was what I was thinking about. I
would really love to see this technology brought to Python, or at
least a discussion as to what additions would be required in the
*language* in order for similar technologies to be easily applicable
to future Pythonic environments.

/npat