Flython?

Benjamin Niemann b.niemann at betternet.de
Fri Aug 13 09:27:27 EDT 2004

Christopher T King wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Peter Hansen wrote:
>

>>In the vein of Jython, I wonder what it would take to build
>>a Flython?  (Lousy name, I know.)  That would take Python
>>source, presumably a subset since some things couldn't be supported,
>>and compile it into ActionScript bytecode (aka the bytecode compiled
>>from ECMAScript source for the Macromedia Flash player environment).
>

> I don't know much about ActionScript bytecode, but I think a general
> Python -> ECMAScript translator wouldn't be too hard (presuming a Python
> subset is acceptable).  ECMAScript variables are untyped, so that should
> ease translation some.  Sounds like my weekend project!

Probably more than a weekend project, but if you do it, I'd be very,
very happy! I'm just working on a rather complex Flashproject (simulator
for a digital camera) and I have more than enough reasons to curse Flash
& ActionScript. The thought how wonderful it would be, if I could use
Python for the logic just popped up in my head a few days ago...