PEP-0318

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Aug 6 19:46:32 EDT 2004

Mark Bottjer <mark_bottjer at hotmail.com> wrote:

>      E. pie decorator at top of function body syntax
>
>      def foo(arg1,arg2):
>          @classmethod
>
>      def bar(low,high):
>          @accepts(int,int)
>          @returns(float)
> [...]
>      * 0 Perhaps decorators should be allowed before or after the
>          docstring. If you have to choose, I'd choose making it before
>          the docstring.

It's a pretty arbitrary decision (i.e. I can't see any strong arguments
one way or the other) which means it's the kind of thing which is likely
to not be remembered.  I think I'm with you, decorators come first, then
the docstring.  But pick one and stick with it, so everybody does it the
same way.

>      * - Lots of decorators will make it harder to find the start of the
>          function implementation. Then again, so will a large docstring.

Do people anticipate having lots of decorators for a given function?