My only complaint about Python

flab ba flab at large.net
Fri Aug 20 07:47:40 CEST 2004

I use Python for mission-critical enterprise level stuff, and I have to
say that on **Windows**,  I'd rather it be compiled with MSVC, and not
something like MingW or GCC.

Under no circumstances would I put something in production if it was using
Cygwin.

There is nothing to stop you from compiling Python yourself with the free
Visual C++ Toolkit. Instructions are here:

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-February/042595.html

When the 2005 Toolkit comes out, I have a sneaky suspicion that the
"Starter" pack will be good enough to compile Python - which will be
very cheap (maybe even as low as $50).

An important part of Python for Windows is Mark Hammond's Windows
extensions - I wonder if these rely on a very "windows-savy" compiler like
(Borland or VC++ )

-Flab