Best GUI- Python for children - pygame and blender32

Andr? Roberge andre.roberge at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 25 11:12:48 EDT 2004

Sorry about the cryptic subject line, but I wanted to capture the
essence of my message in a single line.

I am learning Python (which, as everyone know is the best language :-)
so that I can write a tutorial to teach my kids about computer
programming.  The motivation for them will be to use Python to create
their own games using pygame and, eventually, blender3d.  From what I
hear, their friends will be interested in that tutorial too.  When/if
I am satisfied with it, I'll make it publicly available (first in
French though - an English translation will have to wait).

My approach is to use what I called JITT  (just in time teaching :-)
i.e. introducing as few concepts as are needed in order to understand
the  "next topic", leading to game creation as soon as possible.

Seems to be working so far.

I am now at the point of writing a "chapter" on GUIs.  I've written a
few sections about Tkinter but I haven't shown them to my kids yet as
I am not convinced this is the best way to go; I've read enough about
anygui, pythoncard, pyui, easygui, not to mention wxpython, etc. to
instill doubts in my mind.  I can't really afford to take the time to
learn enough about all of those to make an informed decision on my
own, decision that I could regret later on.   As long as the chosen
GUI is as easy as possible to learn but "complete" enough (and fast
enough as an interface?) to do fun stuff with pygame (and, possibly,
blender3d, if a separate GUI is needed), I will be satisfied.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

André Roberge

PS  As for the python survey, I'm 43 years old, started learning about
Python about a month ago, have done some programming in the past for
fun using Fortran, C, and java, but haven't done any serious
programming for years and it is not required at all for my day job.