Microbenchmark: Summing over array of doubles

Duncan Booth me at privacy.net
Sun Aug 1 10:53:07 EDT 2004

bulatov at engr.orst.edu (Yaroslav Bulatov) wrote in
news:4d642979.0407312049.7a8aecab at posting.google.com:

> I made an array of 10 million floats timed how long it takes to sum
> the elements, here's what I got (millis):

I just had a brief look at the code you posted. Are you not concerned about
accuracy in any of your calculations? Summing a 10 million element array by
simply accumulating each element into a running total is guaranteed to give
a lousy result.

Also, without running it I don't see how most of your Python examples work
since you seem to call the timing function with the result of the
calculation which doesn't make sense.