age of Python programmers

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Aug 18 10:15:36 EDT 2004

Lucas Raab wrote:

>One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
>Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
>about....

It's going to take a long time if we all just give single numbers.

 From what I've seen at PyCon and PyGTA (and I *suck* at guessing ages,
btw), there is a large population lump in the late teens and early
twenties among the Twisted developers.  IIRC there was actually a PyCon
survey that might have this information with *real* numbers.  Theres a
good little bump among the scientific and core-dev peoples for late
forties and above (maybe those careers keep you flexible enough to try
new things?  Maybe the projects are experimental enough that using a
"new" language isn't a problem?)

Beyond those groups, I would guess the average is in the early
thirties/late twenties, with most of the bulk from 25-ish through
33-ish.  Of course, the "casual" Python programmer isn't likely to show
up to *any* Python-related event, and there are likely more of them than
those of us who've drunk the kool-aid.  And as I mentioned before, I
suck at guessing ages...

It's so much more efficient to just make up the statistics.
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://www.vrplumber.com