Compiling disutil modules on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 8 06:55:00 EDT 2004

Geoff Caplan wrote:
> I tried renaming the extension without the leading underscore but this
> generates an error. I am new to Python: perhaps a SWIG guru could
> explain why the underscore is required, or if not required, how it can
> be avoided?

I am not a SWIG guru, but I can explain why you cannot rename an
extension DLL. Inside the DLL, there is an entry point function with
a name similar to the DLL name. When the DLL is renamed, the entry point
is not - but Python expects that the entry point then matches the DLL
name.

As for the SWIG issue - I believe swig also generates a Python module
example.py which you are meant to use instead.

Regards,
Martin