line shift? (baby steps 2)

Artemisio calidusdk at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 18:37:37 EDT 2004

> I was bored waiting on a compile so I hacked this up. It adds the \n and the
> Please enter conversion type line and uses the previous poster's comment on
> the using a dictionary.
> I added the conversion output text by makeing the value a list that is the
> conversion and the text to display for the answer (I made them shorter
> because I was lazy to type all the information). I also made the conversion
> from US to EU more in line with the EUUS because I used those for testing
> and the results were not coming out the same (course I am sure there is some
> slack in there somewhere for the bank taking its share of the proceeds :) )
> Not sure if there is a slicker way to do the conversion/message - I am
> relatively new to Python as well, so my code still ends up looking like C++
> lots of the time.
>
> import string
>
> currency = {"EUDK":(7.47,"? to DKK"),
>             "DKEU":(0.13,"DKK to ?"),
>             "USDK":(5.93, "$ to DKK"),
>             "DKUS":(0.16, "DKK to $"),
>             "EUUS":(1.19, "? to $"),
>             "USEU":(0.84, "$ to ?")}
>
> while(1):
>     currency_choice= raw_input("\nPlease enter conversion type  or 'Exit':
> ")
>     currency_str= str(currency_choice).upper()
>
>     if currency_str == "EXIT":
>         break
>     if currency.has_key(currency_str):
>         amount_int= input("Please type the amount you wish to convert: ")
>         result = amount_int * currency[currency_str][0]
>         print currency[currency_str][1], " ", amount_int, " = ", result
>     else:
>         print("Sorry. At the moment we only support DKK, Euro and Dollars."
> + "\n" \
>         "Type DKEU if you want convert from DKK to ?," + "\n" \
>         "EUDK if you want to convert from DKK to ?," + "\n" \
>         "DKUS if you want to convert from DKK to $," + "\n" \
>         "USDK if you want to convert from $ to DKK," + "\n"
>         "EUUS if you want to convert from ? to $," + "\n"\
>         "and USEU if you want to convert from $ to ?")

Thank you Jeff, that's classy! Also the exit function! Your hack will
keep me busy for at least one hour and a half (hence the mentioned
baby steps)

Allow me a remark though:

was the following output intended?

"Please enter conversion type  or 'Exit': euus
Please type the amount you wish to convert: 99
? to $   99  =  117.81"

I mean the last line. Or am I missing something?
Thanx!