Python "decompyle"

David Dürrenmatt dd at guv.ethz.ch
Sun Aug 15 17:25:35 EDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:57:30 -0400, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> "David Dürrenmatt" <dd at guv.ethz.ch> wrote in message
> news:opscrrsaxt5kr1pg at news.swissonline.ch...
>> If I try to use decompyle (decompyle-2.3) for pyc-files < version 2.0, I
>> get an error with marshal_20 (ImportError: dynamic module does not
>> define
>> init function (initmarshal_20)  ). marshal_20 was compiled to a so-file
>> using gcc.
>>
>> Does anybody know where this error could come from and how to solve it?
>
> Your post suggests that your build does work for .pyc files >= version
> 2.0.
> Is this correct?  Does the doc for decompyle say it should work for
> earlier
> versions?

Yes, it does work. And documentation says, it should.

Fact is, marshal_20 is used to read the marshaled data in the pyc files <
2.0 (different version of marshal). And the problem doesn't really lie in
decompyle itsself: if I try to import marshal_20 from python prompt, I get
the error mentioned above.

Thanks,
dave