age of Python programmers

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Thu Aug 19 13:37:35 EDT 2004

"Eli Stevens (WG.c)" <listsub at wickedgrey.com> writes:

> Lucas Raab wrote:
>
> > One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
> > Python programmer?
>
> 25 here, Python newbie (less than a year, I think).
>
> I'm sad that nobody else in this thread has spoken in hushed, reverent
> tones about my gateway drug, LogoWriter.  I was 10 when my fifth grade
> math class went to the school computer lab and made the turtle crawl
> around the screen.  From there, QBasic, C++, C-because-school-made-me,
> Java-because-work-made-me, Python-to-save-me.  ;)
>
> Handy tip: if you were anything like me, _don't_ go back and try to
> read your old code.  I had variable names like "qwer" "qwert" and
> "qwerty", alongside classics like "a", "b" and "c."
>
> *Shudder*
> Eli

A few years ago, I mentored for a math class (3rd-5th grades), and we
did logo robotics.  They programmed the little cars to drive a course
drawn on butcher paper.  We started with open loop (no feedback), and
did pretty well, then added sensor feedback from strategically placed
lights and did better.  Most of the kids were more interested in
building logo monster trucks or coloring on the butcher paper.  But 3
of them "got it", and did the programming, and the rest ran after
run-away cars.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 342-0007