Python indentation deters newbies?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Aug 16 11:28:11 CEST 2004

Op 2004-08-16, Peter Hansen schreef <peter at engcorp.com>:
> Keith P. Boruff wrote:
>
>> beliavsky at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> One of the most commmon reasons programmers cite for not trying Python
>>> is that indentation determines the program flow -- they think its
>>> weird. I think programmers who actually try Python adapt quickly and
>>> do not find the indentation rules to be a problem.
>>
>> Honestly, I'm still not too crazy about the indentation requirements of
>> the language myself, coming from a background of using all free form
>> languages.
>
> Did you really not indent your code in those languages consisntly
> anyway?

I can't answer for keith, but my answer is that it depends on
what you consider consistent.

My indentation was consistent with the structure of the algorithm.
That is not necesarrily the same as the structure you implemeted
that algorithm in.

I think that I should be the final judge of what is the most
appropiate way to use indentation, not the compilor/interpreter,
even if it agrees with me.

--
Antoon Pardon