python cgi speedup on iis

Charlie Taylor charlie at iwec.com
Tue Aug 24 21:22:36 EDT 2004

Gilles Lenfant wrote:
>Use the excellent pywin32
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32
>Look at the help in the "ASP and Python" section that shows how to register
>Python as ASP engine...

pywin32 ASP turned out to be EXACTLY what I needed.

It took very little effort to convert my CGI scripts, and the performance
boost was terrific.

There are a few nagging issues regarding the reload of modified modules.
The ASP engine often overlooks changed pyc files and therefore does not
reload the modified modules (this requires IIS restarts), however, it is
very good at detecting changes to the ASP files themselves.  I've taken to
debugging imported modules via CGI scripts to get around having to restart
IIS.

Anyway, pywin32 ASP was an excellent suggestion... thank you Gilles.

ct