Distutils vs. Extension header files

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Dec 9 19:20:10 EST 2004

I've got a package that includes an extension that has a number of
header files in the directory with the extension. They are specified
as "depends = [...]" in the Extension class. However, Distutils
doesn't seem to do anything with them.

If I do an sdist, the include files aren't added to the tarball.

If I do a bdist_rpm, the source files get copied into the build
directory and the build starts, but the header files aren't copied
with the source file, so the build fails with a missing header file.

I find it hard to believe that this is a bug in distutils, so I'd
appreciate it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

           Thanks,
           <mike