Securing a future for anonymous functions in Python

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Dec 30 19:31:45 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:15:51 -0800, Jeff Shannon <jeff at ccvcorp.com> wrote:

>David Bolen wrote:
>
>>>I think this specific use case -- defining callbacks -- should be
>>>addressed, rather than proposing a solution to something that isn't
>>>necessary.  (...)
>>>

>>I'd be interested in this approach too, especially if it made it simpler
>>to handle simple manipulation of callback arguments (e.g., since I often
>>ignore a successful prior result in a callback in order to just move on
>>to the next function in sequence).
>>

>It seems to me that what most people *actually* want, when asking for
>lambdas, is a quicker and more convenient way to get closures.  (At
>least, that's what the vast majority of examples of lambda use seem to
>be for.)  Perhaps one could get a bit more traction by looking for
>improved closure syntax instead of focusing on the anonymous function
>aspect.
Not sure what you mean by closure here. To me it means the necessary
external environment needed to be captured for use by a function definition
getting exported from its definition environment. I.e., it is something
a function uses, and part of the function definition, but it isn't the
function itself. I would compare a closure more to a callable class instance's
self attributes, except that the latter are more flexible.

In fact, for a callback, a constructor call creating a suitable
callable class instance could sometimes work well as a substitute
for a lambda expression, ISTM. (I.e., when it is not important to
show the code in line, and the differences are in initialization parameters
rather than code).

>All of the suggestions for anonymous multiline functions (with embedded
>indentation) seem to me to miss what seems to me to be the only
>significant benefit of lambda -- its ability to be used in-line without
>creating a huge ugly tangle.  (I'd argue that lambdas create a *small*
>ugly tangle, but apparently that's just me. ;) )  Lambdas do have some
>value in defining callbacks, but that value derives almost exclusively
>from the fact that they are in-line (rather than a few lines above).
They do let you define _code_ inline, which a constructor call doesn't do
(unless you pass a string to compile etc -- not cool).

>Mimicking function-def indentation inside of another function's arglist
>strikes me as an abomination just waiting to happen; in comparison, the
>need to type a name twice seems trivial.
Self-restraint can avoid abominations ;-)

>As a result, it seems to me that, rather than generalize lambdas into
>"full" anonymous functions (with most of the negatives and few of the
>positives of lambda), it would be much better to specialize them further
>into inline-closure-creators, where they can serve a valuable purpose
>without quite as much risk of  code pollution.

There's always the temptation to be enforcer when being persuader
is not the easiest ;-)

(BTW, again, by closure, do you really mean deferred-action-thingie?)

Regards,
Bengt Richter