How did you learn Python?

Doran_Dermot at Doran_Dermot at
Fri Dec 3 16:21:57 CET 2004

Hi Shawn,

I would recommend the following for starters:
- The Tutorial (
- Python "How to Program" by Deitel

After that it is like any language, natural or computer related!  Use it!

However, I think you'll find that it is a lot easier to use than most other

-----Original Message-----
From: at
[ at] On Behalf Of
Shawn Milo
Sent: 03 December 2004 14:55
To: python-list at
Subject: How did you learn Python?

I was just wondering what the best books were for learning Python.

Which books are good for getting started, and which should be saved for
later, or or not useful except as a reference for the learned?

I have a decent programming background in VB, JavaScript, VBScript,
Net.Data (IBM's macro language), regular expressions, and a teensy bit of
Perl. My point is, I don't want something that is going to explain the basic
programming concepts, but does give a good introduction to Python-specific
things. Then, once I know how to get the job done, I would like a good book
or two at the intermediate to advanced level, to learn how to write really
good code.

I understand that resources such as this list and Google searches have all
the answers,
but it seems like a more structured tool, such as a book or formal class,
would be
of great benefit to me. The other languages I have used were picked up
because of the
need to get a job done. As a result, I am able to get the job done, but any
coder can show me six more efficient ways to do what I'm doing. I'm new to
Python, and I want to do this one right. I believe that Python will be
around for a good, long time, and it matches my values as an
supporter, while having relevance in the Windows and Mac world, as well.
Plus, it looks like it was designed extremely well, and I'm excited about
principles I've read about.