newbie question

Luis M. Gonzalez luismgz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:11:47 EST 2004

Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such a detailed and polite
way.
I'm satisfied by your last post and, although I beg to disagree in a
few points, I'm glad to see that we are all slowly going back to a
civil way of expressing ourselves.

Regarding my first post in this thread, I hope I didn't offend you. I
just wanted to point out that there were some attitudes from you and
from others that, in my oppinion, were a little bit too harsh.
Sometimes it seems that instead of replying, you are making absolute
statements intended to disqualify other people's oppinions, leaving no
place for a continuing discussion of these matters.
But I want to say that I recognize your labor here when it comes to
help newbies and the time you spend in this list particicipating and
contributing.
And I also recognize that you are capable of "slowing down" and make
your thoughts clear.

As for your comment about Boo:
> Boo is not Python related.  It's that simple.  Boo has some
> passing resemblance to Python, and claims that it's much
> more than that are patently false.  And clearly designed
> to be marketing propaganda to get more Boo users onboard

Perhaps I don't measure that relativity with the same ruler, but as far
as I could see when playing with Boo, it is very similar to Python.
Anyway, I don't want to appear as a promoter or evangelist of Boo, I'm
just someone who tested it and liked it.

Also, you should consider that, preferences aside, there might be
pythonistas in situations where they are forced to work with Microsoft
technologies, and since programmers use tools (and we are discussing
about tools here, not religions) I think it's pertinent to discuss it
here.
Amyway, I wouldn't want to use this list to talk about Boo, because I
think that the best place to do it is comp.lang.boo.
However, since I think it is definetely python related (I know you
disagree, but others don't) I see no harm in mentioning it here
occasionally.

regards,
Luis