ANN: mkplaylist.py 0.3

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed Dec 8 15:38:56 EST 2004

Hi,

Hereby I'm announcing the first version of my playlist generating
Python script that not only replaces the functionality of the simple
Bash script I used to create playlists beforem but also reads meta data
(tags, comments) from MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files and writes extended M3U
playlists.

The script scans given directories for media files with known file
name extensions and writes the file names into a playlist file in M3U or
extended M3U format. Those very simple formats are used or at least
understood by the vast majority of media players on different
platforms.

For reading meta data some third party software is needed.  Namely the
mad mp3 decoder and the Python bindings for it

  http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/
  http://spacepants.org/src/pymad/

the ID3 tag reader from

  http://id3-py.sourceforge.net/

and the Ogg Vorbis Python bindings by Andrew Chatham

  http://www.andrewchatham.com/pyogg

It's "beta quality" software and only tested on Linux, so I'm
interested in positive/negative feedback and bug reports.

You can find the script here:

  http://www.marc.rintsch.de/software.html#mkplaylist

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch