Python Win32 Silent Install

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Thu Dec 2 07:06:43 CET 2004

Steve Holden wrote:

> Obviously the license agreement at
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/license_agreement.plex
> would be the authoritative statement. ActiveState do, however, license
> their distribution for OEM purposes, as the links to the right of the
> above-quoted page suggest.
>
> However, the current Community License (v4) says: """ ...
>    2. You may make and give away verbatim copies of this Package for
> personal use, or for use within your organization, provided that you
> duplicate all of the original copyright notices and associated
> disclaimers. You may not distribute copies of this Package, or copies of
> packages derived from this Package, to others outside your organization
> without specific prior written permission from ActiveState (although you
> are encouraged to direct them to sources from which they may obtain it
> for themselves). ..."""
>
> This makes is pretty clear that if you plan to distribute outside your
> own organization they expect you to get an OEM license if you want to
> use their distribution.

True -- however it's worth knowing that we often do zero-cost OEM
licensing in a variety of settings, such as magazine/book publishers,
etc.  We take each request on a case-by-case basis, and we don't
particularly enjoy squeezing water out of stones [*].  We don't bite, so
people should feel free to email us if they have specific
questions/proposals.

As an interesting aside, HP licenses ActivePerl for their HP-UX
distributions as part of a more complex contract (we also maintain a
repository of Perl modules for easy installation of binary packages, etc.).

-- David Ascher
    Managing Director & Chief Technologist
    ActiveState -- Dynamic Tools for Dynamic Languages

[*] That expression is fun, but reminds me of how much water really _is_
in rocks.  There's an amazing display at the Smithsonian in DC showing
how much equivalent liquid water is in a cubit foot (IIRC) of various
kinds of rocks.  Stunning.