cygwin python.exe symlink breaks when called from .bat file

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Wed Dec 15 10:56:17 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:21:31AM -0800, gry wrote:
> Under cygwin, the python executable is installed as python2.4.exe with
> a symbolic link to python.exe.  This is fine as long as one is
> operating only withing the cygwin world.  But I execute python from a
> foo.bat file, and windows barfs on the symbolic link.

You can always do the following as a workaround:

    C:\> bash -c python

> I replaced it with a hard link and all is well.

Note the above will only work as a true hard link under NTFS.  IMO, the
above is a better approach.

> Is there some reason this shouldn't be the standard installation under
> cygwin?

Because it would require (more) modification of the Unix build to
accommodate Windows.  IMO, it is not worth the effort.  If you feel
differently, then submit a patch for consideration:

    http://sf.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=5470&atid=305470

BTW, many other Cygwin commands have this issue too:

    $ find /bin -type l -name '*.exe'
    /bin/awk.exe
    /bin/c++.exe
    /bin/captoinfo.exe