How do I do this? (eval() on the left hand side)

Caleb Hattingh caleb1 at telkomsa.net
Tue Dec 7 23:28:39 EST 2004

Sure, ok, I think I am with you now.

You get a (e.g.) variable name as a string, and you KNOW how to evaluate
it with "eval", but you also want to be able to assign back to (through)
the string representation?

One way (if I understand you correctly) is with the globals or locals
dicts.  Try this in IDLE:

'>>> a = 3
'>>> y = 'a'
'>>> eval(y)
3
'>>> d = locals() # Get a dictionary of local variables
'>>> d['a']
3
'>>> d[y]
3
'>>> d[y] = 8   # y is a string = 'a'
'>>> a              # The value of a is changed.
8
'>>>

Is this kinda what you mean?  I'm still new at this (and don't know REXX
 from Adam).

Thanks
Caleb