Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Mon Dec 20 08:20:43 EST 2004

On 20 Dec 2004 04:43:06 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
>> I'll soon start development of a specialized small app and need
>> to choose GUI for it.
>>
>> I have narrowed the choice to wxPython/PythonCard and QT/PyQT

>What does the app need to do?

Basically, it's for a "data-entry monkey" and/or PM - check if this
task has been done, possibly edit some data. Once task is closed,
move it to the invoicing module and add the task's data to the
semi-final invoice.

>I'd try to make it web based unless
>there's a good reason not to.

Reason 1: It would be somewhat complex to develop it using
PHP (I have done some recon in that area) and using GUI
on Windows is actually faster way of entering and editing data
than via the Web browser I think.

Reason 2: I don't want to learn yet another language
just for this app and want to avoid integration problems
as we plan to develop yet another application for other workers
that would connect to the common DB and sent the data directly
for that accounting app.

ZOPE could provide the workaround but ZOPE seems really huge to
me and an overkill for this. Or maybe it would work?

>That's even if it just runs on the
>user's desktop; run the http listener on the localhost and let the
>user connect to it with a browser.

>However, between those two you mention, wxPython seems easier to use
>and runs on more platforms.  On the other hand, it may be less well
>maintained than QT.  For example, its current installation script
>seems to assume an older version of GTK is installed, and it fails
>with newer GTK versions.

I will consider that, thanks for prompt reply!

--
It's a man's life in a Python Programming Association.