Why are tuples immutable?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Dec 15 21:30:01 EST 2004

Antoon Pardon wrote:

>Demanding that users of dictioanaries somehow turn their mutable objects
>into tuples when used as a key and back again when you retrieve the keys
>and need the object [...]

But, you generally don't "retrieve" _keys_ from dicts.  You *use* keys
to retrieve *values* from a dict.  The only way to get a dict to give
you a key is by using the keys() method (or items() method) to give you
*all* of the keys.

You say that mutating the keys inside of a dict is bad, and yet you want
keys to be mutable.  This seems to be an internally inconsistent
position, nevermind the fact that I can't think of a case where I'm
likely to "retrieve" a key from a dict, modify it, and then put it
back.  (I can think of endless cases where I'd want to do that with
*values*, but not with keys...)

(And if dicts were somehow changed so that keys were copied when added
to a dict, just so that every once in a while someone might be able to
avoid a few conversions to/from tuple, then you're adding the overhead
of an object copy to *every* dict insertion, thus slowing down (possibly
by a significant amount) a large proportion of Python operations.  How
is that a gain?)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International