GUIs: wxPython vs. Tkinter (and others)

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Sat Dec 11 05:05:55 EST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

>>I don't know about wxPython, but PyQt includes it's own threading
>>facility, plus hooks to talk to databases.
>
> That would of course be a great argument if Python didn't already have
> a threading facility, and a standard API for talking to databases with
> implementations for all major players.

Python threading is not perfect in many cases in GUI programming -- you
have to implement your own notification mechanism (eg. using queue
polling), as usually you can communicate with GUI only from main
application's thread. While this is the case also for Qt, QThread
instances have ability to post events to any arbitrary Qt objects, thus
making life a bit easier.

Anyway, all of above mentioned toolkits have its own pros and cons and
in most of cases choice is a matter of personal taste.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/