Performance (pystone) of python 2.4 lower then python 2.3 ???

Tue Dec 14 05:04:35 EST 2004

Hi Lucas,

> On a dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz:

[...]

> Which shows a decrease in performance. Could this have anything to do with the
> fact that is is a dual processor box?

Maybe. But my 3Gh P4/HT is also detected as a dual processor machine
(Kernel 2.6), so it might be a general problem with the Xeon?

BTW: The discussion got me interested so I compiled Python 2.4 myself
with different compiler switches and different compilers, just to find
that generating machine dependant code doesn't speed up the pystone
benchmark in any way (with gcc 3.3.4) and using intel's icc V8 only
results in a small speedup (from approx. 40000 with gcc to approx. 41500
with icc).

So python performance doesn't seem to be that dependant on machine code
representation. Maybe you're running into a different problem like cache
size.

In addition: running python2.3 with psyco 1.2 proxying all 8 Procs of
pystone resulted in approx 155000 pystones, while python2.4 with psyco
1.3 resulted in approx 200000 pystones ...

Mark