pythonwin still broke

Jive someone at
Sat Dec 4 02:30:06 CET 2004

I uninstalled Python and Pythonwin.  I verified that there was nothing left
in the registry or the startup folder.  I reinstalled Python using
Python-2.3.4.exe and Pythonwin using win32all-163.exe.

It's still broke.

The shortcut in the startup folder says

    Target: C:\Python23\Pythonwin.exe
    Start in: C:\Python23\lib\site-packages

When I open Pythonwin that way, once I open a file from the File menu, the
menu buttons on the new window and on the main Pythonwin frame become

I can keep that from happening by changing the Target to
C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\pythonwin\start_pythonwin.pyw.  (Just a wild
guess on my part.)  But then there's a different problem.  When I try to run
a module, I get the message,

Traceback (most recent call last):
line 307, in RunScript, __main__.__dict__, start_stepping=0)
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\debugger\",
line 60, in run
    _GetCurrentDebugger().run(cmd, globals,locals, start_stepping)
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\debugger\",
line 35, in _GetCurrentDebugger
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\debugger\",
line 21, in _CheckNeedGUI
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\",
line 392, in CreateDefaultGUI
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\debugger\",
line 33, in InitInstance
win32ui: The profile settings have already been loaded.