Tkinter vs wxPython

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 30 08:29:21 EST 2004

Bernd Schmidt wrote:

> Thomas Bartkus schrieb:
>
>> When run under Linux, my wxPython programs follow the look and feel of my
>> Gnome desktop.  When the same program is run on Windows, it follows that
>> desktop theme. Both Gnome and Windows XP alter the the controls design
>> according to user preferences.  wxPython GUIs reflect this
>> automatically and
>> the controls always look and work like the underlying system.
>

> Sure, but on my Linux, I use KDE, never Gnome, other people use
> Windowmaker or something else. wxPython with KDE-Look? What is the
> native look with wxPython and KDE? I don't think there is something like
> this, and the problem is that there isn't a free QT on Windows.
>
> Bernd

Well, of course, the problem with X Window has always been when you ran
an application built using one toolkit under a window manager built
using another. *Then* the ugliness is due to the fact that different
parts of the window are decorated by different toolkits. That's always
going to be ugly.

remembering-motif-under-open-windows-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119