portable text user interface

Maxim Kasimov kasimov at i.com.ua
Thu Dec 30 06:08:46 EST 2004

Miki Tebeka wrote:
> Hello Fuzzyman,

>>>If you just need a text-like interface you can use Tkinter.
>>>See (shameless plug) http://developer.berlios.de/projects/bcd/ and
>>>http://developer.berlios.de/dbimage.php?id=1112 for example.
>

>>Your project looks very interesting. It would be better if it displayed
>>an error message if it can't find the '_bcdrc' file. If you run it from
>>windoze it just appears and disapears.
>>
>>How about allowing the '_bcdrc' file to be in the same directory as the
>>script as well.
>
> Cool. A user!
> Thanks for the comments. I'll add searching next to the application on
> win32 platforms.
>

>>Any chance of you releasing the Tkinter text interface as a separate
>>library, with a less restrictive license ? It looks very good - but I
>>can't use it in my projects if it is GPL.
>
> It's just standard Tkinter Listbox with key bindings and it's under 160
> lines of code. Nothing special here.
>
> Bye.
> --
> Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at zoran.com>
> http://tebeka.bizhat.com
> The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys

i have not used Tcl/Tk before, and don't know how to solve the problem -

after i've made config file (.bcdrc) and run the script on FreeBSD 4, i've got the message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./bcd.py", line 177, in ?
     root = Tk() # Main window
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1511, in __init__
     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

--
Best regards,
Maxim