sets and subsets

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 17 16:43:37 EST 2004

[Tim Roberts]
> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

> >[content at *bottom*]
> >A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> >Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >A: Top-posting.
> >Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?

> You know, it may be time for this crusade to end.

I'm glad that Aahz has the courage of crusading, so sparing some of
mine! :-) In my case at least, crusades are not fun, despite necessary
at times.  This particular crusade should only end once people are
educated enough to spontaneously do the proper thing.

> In this particular thread, the content quickly grew larger than my
> newsreader's preview pane, so bottom-posting requires me to move the
> focus to the preview pane and scroll down to read.

People are likely over-quoting, then.  Proper quoting is an art, and
when done correctly, quoted material is not an annoyance.  On the Python
list, most messages do well in that respect and hopefully, most people
get good habits by mere observation and imitation.  It is not bad to
remind people, once in a while, for those who are more slow to get it.

P.S. - Mail or news readers may have an option to hide quoted material.
I sometimes use it in Mutt for messages which are not crafted correctly.