wxPython documentation

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Sun Feb 1 18:47:32 CET 2004

Richard James wrote:
> "Olivier" <olivier.marechal at laposte.net> wrote in message news:<401c25a3$0$11357$636a55ce at news.free.fr>...
>>Where could I find a good documentation about wxPython (a documentation
>>which is not for C++ !!!)

> If C++ docs are "easy" to convert in your head to Python.
> It does help if YOU KNOW how to program C++ first.

Follow the bouncing ball...

"The Qt c++ doc's are easy to look at and convert over
to PyQt "

I didn't say C++ was easy to convert to python.

The Object-Oriented programming is part of python.

All that's left is looking at and converting
function/method parameters.

Python/PyQt takes care of all the memory/arrays/pointers
  /clean up, etc.

Here's a complete working example in under 20 lines
of code that includes a dialog window, button wigdet,
and signal/slot.

import sys
from qt import *

class Form1(QDialog):

     def __init__(self,parent = None,name = None,modal = 0,fl = 0):

         # Qt C++ Doc = QPushButton::QPushButton \
         # ( QWidget * parent, const char * name =  0 )

	self.PushButton1 = QPushButton(self,"PushButton1")
	# Qt C++ Doc = void QWidget::setGeometry ( const QRect & )

	# Qt C++ Doc = void QButton::setText ( const QString & )

     def PushButton1_clicked(self):

a = QApplication(sys.argv)
w = Form1()

> So much for learning Python as a first computer language!
> And if you have to learn C++ first, then why do you need Python?
The debates over writing C++ vs Python are all over
the list.

Even if you know C++ there are many reasons to use python.
You can create a program in less than 1/2 the time for starters.

> Why do all programmers seem to think good documention is optional?
> Or an exercise left to the reader?
"All programmers? I'd say some are just very busy writing code
and if they document thier code properly, you should be good to go.
Companies with backing, writing a program will bring on a technical
writer to produce the docs so the programmers can continue to do
what the do best. Open source is a little different. Just trying to
keep up with everything in your "free" time is hard to do.
Try hosting an open source program and you'll find out.

> Documentation quality tells a lot about the programmer.
> If a programmer can't communicate to his users how his program works.
> It is a warning sign that the program has not been fully designed, but
> hacked together haphazardly.

That's the dumbest thing I read in a while.

> And why would you even want to try and use poorly designed software?

Sounds like you should just be getting your software from compusa.

> Say, like on the Spirit Mars Rover.

I think NASA has a few technical writers.
Of coarse it doesn't say much for the "Meteric vs.US"
measurement snaffu.