hide sourcecode

Gerrit gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Feb 5 13:37:35 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> >Hi, is it possible to protect the python sourcecode?
> >I have a nice little script and i dont want to show everbody the source.
> >
> >Im using python on a windows pc.
>
> Compile the .py file into bytecode (.pyc).  That .pyc file will only be
> usable on platforms with the same x.y version of Python as you.
>
> Remember that .pyc files suffer from the same decompilation
> vulnerabilities as any other programming language (which is why there
> exists software cracks).  If someone wants to know what you are doing,
> they will.

I don't know about Windows, but on Unix you can create a script with
permissions 700 and create a small setuid program executing this script.

Don't know whether Windows has such useful things though, probably not :-P

Gerrit.

--
PrePEP: Builtin path type
    http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/creaties/path/pep-xxxx.html