package similar to XML::Simple

Uche Ogbuji uche at ogbuji.net
Wed Feb 11 01:59:03 EST 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<40294322.7AF2C6D7 at engcorp.com>...
> "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> >
> > Peter Hansen wrote:
> > > Then there are very few XML parsers in the world, if one includes, say,
> > > namespaces and validation as part of XML.
> >
> > Namespaces are clearly *not* part of the XML recommendation (but part
> > of the XML namespaces recommendation). Validation is optional in the
> > XML recommendation. Character references are not.
>
> See my reply to Brian Q...  I can accept that, but read more into Uche's
> objection than he probably meant.  It now seems rather over the top to
> write an article lambasting the product for something that would normally
> just be considered a simple bug/defect in the software, unless the
> maintainers have in effect refused to fix it.

I agree.  I would not be making my point so strongly if I had not in
fact read several times just such a refusal by the PyRXP authors to
fix the non-conformance.  When I first came across the error, my first
instinct was to report the error and wait for a fix.  Then I did some
googling and saw that others had eported the error and the maintainrs
did in fact refuse to fix it.

Recently Stuart Bishop contributed a conforming variant of PyRXP,
called PyRXPU.      PyRXPU is an XML parser.  PyRXP is not.  This
point has not been made clearly enough by the PyRXP dvelopers.  I
think it's great that ReportLab is contributing to the diversity of
XML tools in Python and I encourage people to try PyRXPU.
Unfortunately it is only available from ReportLab CVS, but I'd expect
this will change soon, and for now at least it's easy to build.

--Uche
http://uche.ogbuji.net