Thoughts about Python

b-blochl bblochl2 at compuserve.de
Wed Feb 25 08:21:40 EST 2004

Marco Aschwanden schrieb:

>I once read an interesting article that a programming language can be
>reduced to 4 instructions: (1) input (2) output (3) if-then (4) goto.
>All other commands / functions are built upon those 4 "basic ideas".

I am absolutely horrified to find  goto as a necessary  instruction of
programming! Real (modern)  programming languages dont have a goto
statement,  since extensive use is considered bad programming  practice
in every language. If there is a goto statement - ignore it. "jump" or
"goto" hides the difference between selection and repetition und
unclarifies the program structure.

Bohm C. and G. Jacopini "Flow Diagrams, Turing Machines, and Languages
with Only Two Formation Rules." Communications of the ACM, Vol 9, No.5,
May 1966, pp336-371.
In this article they have shown, that any progrm can be written without
any goto statement. Structured programming is common goal since about
1970. (See O. J. Dahl and C. A. R Hoare, Notes on Structured
Programming, 1972)

Bernhard