display available memory

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Feb 19 02:32:39 EST 2004

"Alexandre" <alx5962NOSPAM at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'd like to display available memory using Python but I haven't found the
>easy way to do it...
>Any idea please?
>Also I need a no specific OS function, as I plan to not only use it under
>Windows.

There is no system-independent method of doing this.  In fact, it's not
easy to find a system-DEPENDENT method of doing this.

That's partly because the whole concept has very little meaning.  What do
you mean by "available memory"?  Windows and Linux are both virtual memory
systems.  The amount of RAM in your machine is irrelevant; the operating
system will just keep giving you more and more memory and rolling the old
stuff out to the swap file.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.