personal document mgmt system idea

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:36:22 CET 2004

Stephan Diehl wrote:

[...]

> Just dump your files somewhere in the filesystem and keep a record of it in
> your database.

I think I will go with this approach. (see other posting for details)

> In addition, a real (text) search engine might be of help. I'm using swish-e
> (www.swish-e.org) and are very pleased with it.

Just downloaded it... looks good. Now if it also had a python api (-;

> Maybe, before you invest to much time into such a project, you should check
> out the following:
>
> Chandler (http://www.osafoundation.org)
>         if it's finished, it will do excactly what you are aiming for (and
>         it's written in Python)

Still early stages... I see they dropped the ZODB.

> ReiseFS (see www.namesys.com -> Future Vision)
> Gnome Storage (http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage)
> WinFS
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/understanding/pillars/WinFS/default.aspx)

Wow! Very exciting stuff... I guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops.

> Hope that helps

Yes. Very informative. Cheers for the help.

> Stephan

Sandy