Error under Cygwin - threading module

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Tue Jan 27 09:46:36 EST 2004

AdSR,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:19:31PM -0800, AdSR wrote:
> Nothing relevant found on Google for this, so I'm asking here. I wrote
> a short script that launches several threads (parallel download using
> urllib.urlretrieve in this case). Sometimes when I launch my script
> under Cygwin, I get strange error messages like:
>
>       2 [win] python 1912 Winmain: Cannot register window class
>
> Sometimes all of the threads run OK, otherwise after the "correct"
> ones finish the console stops responding anyway.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce the above problem under:

    $ cygcheck -cd cygwin python
    Cygwin Package Information
    Package              Version
    cygwin               1.5.5-1
    python               2.3.2-1

and

    Windows 2000 SP4

What Cygwin, Python, Windows versions are you using?

Have you tried a recent Cygwin snapshot?  Some pthread bugs have been
fixed since 1.5.5-1.

> No problems directly under Windows,

What does the above mean?  Under Win32 Python?  Or, under cmd.exe?

> What is wrong?

Sorry, I don't know.

Jason