Databases: Which one's right for me?

Aaron Watters aaron at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 12 12:26:36 EST 2004

re: jeremy's reply...

I find the Gray and Reuter definition confusing.  To my mind isolation means
serializability and if you don't have serializability (at least as an
option)
you don't have isolation.  Transactions don't have to be complex to
cause serious
problems in read-committed mode:  the classic example is a debit of
$1000 for
checking account 123 running at the same time as a credit for $4000 for
checking
account 123.  If both transactions run at the same time and read the
same previous
(committed) balance and they both complete but the first one completes last
then the customer is screwed to the tune of $4000.  This is only the
simplist
problem -- for transactions involving complex data structures the
problems can
be much more subtle than that (and more difficult to correct).

   -- Aaron Watters
===
in theory, theory is the same as practice.
in practice, it's more complicated than that.