file open problem

Neil MacGaffey neilmacgaffey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 09:38:08 EST 2004

Hi  - I'm new to python and am stymied by something
that should be simple.  The file open command below
works fine on my desktop machine, but I cant get it to
work on my laptop.  Since using Python on my laptop is
realistically the only way I'm going to find the time
to learn Python, this is a big problem for me.  Here's
what I'm up against:

 PythonWin 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC
v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond
(mhammond at skippinet.com.au) - see
'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright
information.
>>> fobj = open(r'c:\temp\pytest.txt','r')
Traceback (most recent call last):
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'c:\\temp\\pytest.txt'

The laptop is a Sony VIAO that's about 2 years old.
Its running Windows 2000, SP4.  The desktop is an
older machine, but with the same Windows environment.
I've obtained a fresh download of Python 2.3.3 and the
Win32 extension and have re-installed both a couple of
times with no apparent problems.  I also tried
dropping back to Python 2.3.2, but had same result.
Any ideas as to what I should be looking at on this
laptop that might be causing the problem?

Thank you
Neil