wxPython worries

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingide.com
Fri Jan 16 11:23:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 15 Jan 2004, MetalOne wrote:
> wxWindows and Tk are the only toolkits that wrap native Windows
> controls.  The others all emulate controls.  I am thinking about
> trying out another toolkit.
> FOX, FLTK or GTK.

GTK2 is worth looking at if you're writing a complex GUI and are
worried about running into problems with wx's wrapper approach
and small differences between what the underlying widgets support.
It's fairly complex and probably has a steeper learning curve, but
has a nice design.  I'm continuously amazed at what I can write on
one OS and run w/o problems on others.

On Windows, you will want to use the gtk-wimp theme, which makes
it look and act more like native Windows apps (via emulation):

http://gtk-wimp.sourceforge.net/

There are various GUI builders for GTK but I've found writing
the GUI code manually to be easy enough to do.

If you try to use it and need to build from sources, let me know
and I'll share some Python scripts that make building on Windows
(and other platforms) easier.

Stephan Deibel

--
Wing IDE for Python