Pickling Tkinter widgets - Where does Python stand now?

Marc mnations at airmail.net
Tue Jan 27 00:35:06 EST 2004

Hi all,

After some research I've decided that my previous question (Confusing
problem between Tkinter.Intvar...) was headed in the wrong direction.
Partly because I think I have a greater understanding of what was
happening, and partly because pickling Tkinter widgets is an issue
that seems to have been touched on over the years but never really
acted on.

Postings back to '96 have talked about the need to pickle Tk widgets.
People have asked about it at various points, and no one has ever
really even come up with a workaround (that I could find).

So I am wondering a couple of things: Are there any plans in the
future to alter Tkinter so that it will be Pickle compliant in the
main release? Has anyone ever found a workaround (whether through
altering the main Tkinter.py file or other) that will allow pickling
of Tk widgets.

Thanks,
Marc