what is best for web development??

Wilk wilkSPAM at OUTflibuste.net
Mon Jan 12 09:34:45 EST 2004

ketulp_baroda at yahoo.com writes:

> Wilk <wilkSPAM at OUTflibuste.net> wrote in message news:<87wu80559x.fsf at blakie.riol>...
>> ketulp_baroda at yahoo.com writes:
>>
>> > i am developing a web application and i am really confused on what should i use.
>> > should i use just python and use the cgi module availabe.
>> > Or should i use application like WebWare.Also there is PSP available.
>> > I am really confused and need help
>>
>> It depends of the kind of application you want to do exactly, there are
>> many possibilities from cgi to zope...
>>
>> Look into the archive of the list, you'll find a lot of answer to this
>> question. Or describe more what you need.
>>
>> bye
>

> hey thanks for ur reply
> i am developing an issue tracking system

There is one that you can look at : http://roundup.sf.net
I think it can be used in standalone server or cgi.

> the primary requirements are
> 1)it should be platform independent which i think python will take
> care of
> 2)it should have customizable gui .I am thinking of using templates
> for this like Cheetah. Is there any other better solution to Cheetah?

There is no better solution than Cheetah : there is others solutions...

> The problem i am facing here is i dont know what to use for
> development of the application. I came across many ways to develop web
> application in python which I already specified like
> i)the cgi module in python
> ii)Python Server Pages
> iii)Quixote
> iv)WebWare
> v)Zope etc.
> I want to choose such an environment so that i dont have to install
> other softwares to run my application.For eg. I think if I develop
> using zope then the client also has to install zope to run my software
> and i dont want this.

When you use one of theses servers, you don't need to install anything
else than a classic browser on the client side.
On the server side, most of the servers will not need anything else, you
can even start without server with the batterie include :
BasicHTTPServer (it was somes examples on this list somes days ago).

bye

--
Wilk - http://flibuste.net