YA string interpolation and printing idea

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Jan 19 04:29:59 EST 2004

On 16 Jan 2004 20:52:08 -0800, rumours say that Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> might have written:

>Maybe if type/object
>unification proceeds far enough, we'll someday be able to define our
>own operations on builtin objects like strings.

I'd like that too, and I believe Ruby does it; however, ISTR that Guido
has specifically said that this won't be allowed, since you can always
subclass the base types.  He's the boss :)

I've also seen a hackish patch (by MWH? can't be sure) that allowed one
to substitute their own classes for the base types (so that integer or
string constants would be instances of the derived subclasses).  Don't
know if that would help you in your code.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix