Terminal Emulation with IBM ES9672 mainframe via multiplexer.

vidiv at gmx.net vidiv at gmx.net
Sun Jan 25 00:10:54 EST 2004

> >I am a student-newbie to Python-List (for that matter Python language)
> >working on a project for Terminal Emulation. The dumb terminal interacts
> >with an
> >IBM ES9672 mainframe through a 'multiplexer-MUX'.
> >The s/w is currently running in 'C' on a Windows NT environment and the
> >requirement is to introduce Object Oriented concepts and C++ was the
> obvious
> >choice, but i came across  'Python' (and also Perl, Ruby, ..etc) after i
> >installed RH8 on my PC last month. We are actively canvassing the
> advantages
> >of GNU
> >s/w and philosophy and would like to simultaneously port it to GNU/Linux
> >platform.
> >
> >I have read some of the documentation in Python.
> >Before using Python as our project language it would be useful to know
> >whether Python has functions, libraries/headers (like C does) capable of
> >handling
> >the foll. :
> >
> >1] open and close serial ports,
> >2] set baud rates,
> >3] check parity bit/byte,
> >4] stop bits,
> >5] Hardware handshaking,
> >6] selection of port,......
> >
> >Our existing 'C' code is to be ported to the GNU/Linux platform so we are
> >actively looking at an OOP concept. The part for serial port
> communication
> >in
> >C++ has classes so its easier to write customized programs to do most of
> the
> >above.
> >
> >Most importantly compatibility issues with the existing Multiplexer and
> >Cisco Routers have to be kept in mind as the company will *not* make any
> H/W
> >changes.
> >
> >We saw that python has some routines for using existing C code, so we
> dont
> >have to rewrite everything and can make modules containing functions and
> use
> >it to operate on files.
> >Does it provide any other serial port communication features ?
> >It would be nice if anyone could throw some light on some of the above
> >issues.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> Yes, Python can do all this.
>
> Although perhaps not as well as other approaches.  I don't understand
> your description.  You have something that "works", now, and you want
> ... well, I'm not sure what you want.  Is the software you're looking
> to change the terminal emulator, or the MUX?  I think it's the former.

+++++++

yes, the goal is to rewrite the existing customised Terminal Emulator using
C++, as OOP is very efficient. Is it better to script an existing application
with Python/Ruby that rewriting 3000+ lines of C code into C++ ??

++++++++

> What's the relation of the new software and the software it's
> replacing?  Are they supposed to have the same design?  Would it be
> easier for you to do object-oriented analysis and design, then imple-
> ment in C (while C isn't a particularly inviting language for OO, it
> *is* possible to use it)?  Is the terminal emulator connecting to a
> mainframe, or routers, or both?  Is it enough for you just to exhibit
> one of the many free-software terminal emulators available?  When *I*
> work in this area, I certainly start with as much re-use as possible.
> Is the point of this to construct working software, or learn OO, or
> port to Linux, or ...?  Or all of the above?

++++++

Almost.... but here is more......

Currently the 'C'-program executable's are given to the clients and it
connects geographically scattered Terminals/PCs and/or Printers and behaves like a
dumb terminal emulator (when client uses a dialup to access our Mux) and the
I/O data is captured, sent to (& received from) a Multiplexer
(Mux)----------> on to the CUTS (Connect Unisys Terminal Emulator using U100 protocol) and
---------> on to the SNA for IBM Mainframe in another city.
Our existing program is limited to sending, receiving data till the Mux. It
has 3000+ lines of C-code in a 'single' file and needs to be modularized.
The exchange of data between a central site host and down lines must be
seamless despite different technologies, platforms, environments and so the
language used to program it must have adequate runtime libraries and routines for
a smooth transition.

Even though Python has many modules for various functions, i need more info
about the foll.::
1]
If our platform is Gnu/Linux and client uses Windows 98/95 then how can the
application be ported so as to be accessible by him without any compatibility
issues.
2]
Does python have windows enabled runtime libraries and routines to glue some
program components.
3]
Currently client uses DOS terminal mode so will they need a Windows terminal
version of Python interpreter to be installed to run the application or can
it be integrated using some tools (which ones?)?

It would help to get more information or a pointer to the right direction
and hence i posted a message.
Regarding using existing free-software terminal emulators available there
are a lot of things to be considered.

Thanks for your time.

-Vidya.

--