when x process isn't running... do something

Bart Nessux bart_nessux at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:43:37 EST 2004

Howdy,

I'm trying to time how long it takes dd to run on a G5, versus how long
it takes to run on a G4 (PATA vs. SATA). Both sytems have Mac OS X
10.3.2 and Python 2.3. Could someone demonstrate how I might use Python
to monitor for the presense of a process and to do something (in this
case send an email which I know how to do) as soon as that process is no
longer present? Any suggestions on how to monitor? Call top every 5 secs
and read it's output searching for 'dd'???

TIA,
Bart