Help, *.CHM, etc

JanC usenet_spam at janc.invalid
Wed Jan 21 22:56:14 EST 2004

its1louder at yahoo.com (Tom) schreef:

> As for the other question, a portable html browser that looks & feels
> like the chm help browser.  I realized that Boa Constructor Project
> has such a component, since I've used Boa help in windows and unix.  I
> wonder if anyone has written a cross-platform CHM decoder and browser
> that has the help browser look & feel.  I can't find one, but it seems
> that python would be a great language to make such a thing.  Maybe
> I'll take a crack if it hasn't been done.  I like monolithic,
> compressed help vs. a big directory full of html.

helpviewer.py in site-packages/wxPython/tools is part of wxPython, not Boa:

"""
helpviewer.py   --  Displays HTML Help in a wxHtmlHelpController window.

Usage:
    helpviewer [--cache=path] helpfile [helpfile(s)...]

    Where helpfile is the path to either a .hhp file or a .zip file
    which contians a .hhp file.  The .hhp files are the same as those
    used by Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop for creating CHM files.
"""

Also try xCHM for a cross-platform .CHM viewer:
<http://xchm.sourceforge.net/>

--
JanC