Python and Jython are kinda different

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 21:11:08 CET 2004

Dave Benjamin <ramen at lackingtalent.com> writes:

> In article <87wu81jjg2.fsf at pobox.com>, John J. Lee wrote:
> > Dave Benjamin <ramen at lackingtalent.com> writes:
> > [...]
> >> Is there anyone here that works on Jython? Do you need help? What kind of
> >
> > They certainly need help.
>
> I suppose that was a redundant question. =)

Yes, but it has been specifically noted by GvR (as well as the
Jythonistas) that Jython is lacking developers ATM.

> >> help do you need? What's your estimation of the amount of work needed? Is
> >
> > Asking on the Jython list seems like a good idea.
>
> Yes. But I think that c.l.p is an appropriate place to bring this issue up
> in general, because if CPython and Jython are truly--as they are often

Sure.  But the questions you asked can probably be best answered by
the core Jython people.

> represented in books and tutorials--just two implementations of the Python
> language, we all ought to be more concerned with unifying them. I never see
> Jython advertised as a limited subset of Python.

Well, it's *not* a limited subset of CPython 2.1 (apart from tiny
differences).

[...]
> > PyPy is a research effort, so not immediately useful.  It may have big
> > payoffs if successful, of course.
>
> Well, my thinking is that, since it's an implementation of Python written in
> Python, many of the new features of CPython that don't require syntactical
> or fundamental object-model changes could be ported from PyPy to Jython as a
> temporary fix, to be eventually recoded in Java.

Library changes don't require PyPy, they already work (most of the
time) direct from CPython.  It's the fundamentals that take the work.
I'm not sure whether there's a third category, as you suggest.

I believe GvR said that PyPy might (might!) become a sort of
executable standard for Python in the future, though.

John