Tcl/Tk Support

Russell E. Owen no at spam.invalid
Thu Jan 15 15:02:46 EST 2004

In article <mailman.406.1074188662.12720.python-list at python.org>,
 "Diego Ribeiro de Andrade" <diego.andrade at smartech.com.br> wrote:

>Yeah! It Works Thanks.
>
> Everyone else told me that It was native in Python. May I did something
>wrong in the installation of Red Hat9?

I doubt you did anything wrong. RH9 seems to come with a python that has
no Tkinter support, despite the fact that RH9 also includes tcl/tk.

Personally I think it's good that Python has more than one GUI option,
but a pity that it has no "native" GUI library that is sufficiently
tightly integrated that a programmer can assume it will be present in
any python installation. Tkinter is the closest thing Python has to such
a standard, in that a source build automatically builds Tkinter if
tcl/tk is available. But some OS vendors seem fond of leaving it out
anyway (it is also missing in MacOS X).

-- Russell