xml-rpc

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Jan 10 17:34:27 EST 2004

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.271.1073760516.12720.python-list at python.org>...
> Walt> Curious about why the same very simple xml-rpc demo code should
>     Walt> execute quickly under python2.1 but very slowly under python2.3
>
>     Walt> python2.1  ~4 seconds
>     Walt> python2.3  ~24 seconds on the same machine
>
>     Walt> Is there a well known reason for the difference?
>
> Nope.  I tweaked your script to contact my XML-RPC server over the net
> (about 20-30ms ping times between client and server) and just make
> server.echo() calls.  It took between 1.6 and 2.5 seconds real time running
> python 2.4a0 (aka CVS) on the client and 2.2.3 on the server.  Note that the
> server is in production, so the different times were probably due to
> transient server load.

Any difference in speed between different versions of Python can sometimes
be accounted for by there not being sgmlop or expat modules installed with
the slower version of Python. But then, if the data set going back and forth
is small, this shouldn't really be the case.

Still worthwhile to keep in mind later on if the amount of data does increase.